Sunday, January 29, 2012

Bankers Hill


It is a gorgeous weekend in San Diego. The kind of weekend that makes living in this city so incredible. It is January 29, and I am wearing shorts. I really, really wanted to go hiking in the desert this weekend, but nobody else wanted to go because it would be "too hot." So we went through my giant list of possible hikes and picked two: Tour of Bankers Hill and Three Sisters Waterfalls. My vote was Three Sisters. Everybody else voted for Bankers Hill.
So we went to Bankers Hill today. 1.5 mile stroll down beautiful, architecturally-significant streets. I took pictures.

A building designed by William Hebbard in 1913, stylized after the San Diego Cable Railway powerhouse.


The Quince Street footbridge, built in 1905. I love this bridge so much. You can see the Bay between Point Loma and Downtown.


A home built in the classic revival style.

 The largest camphor tree in San Diego. Behind it is a home built in 1898 by William Hebbard and Irving Gill. But you can't see it because the tree is so huge.

 This was at the Self-Realization Fellowship Center. The building itself was an Irving Gill design, but I was more interested in the elephants.

 This house was designed by Richard Requa. It has been divided into four apartments. I trespassed and walked around the perimeter of the home. What a great apartment house. Very luxurious.


This is the Spruce Street suspension footbridge, built in 1912 to give access to the streetcars on Fourth Avenue. Sam is taking a picture of Natalie jumping the air.  I captured the moment. I'm sure Natalie will be happy.

 This house was designed by Hebbard in 1907. I wish I could have gotten a better picture. This was the best house we saw. It was so beautiful. Every detail was perfect.

 This was attached to a Palladian-style mansion which was built in 1927. I liked the sign better than the house.

 This is an Irving Gill "canyon house" built in 1912. It was intended to blend harmoniously with the natural landscape.

This Queen Anne Victorian home was built in 1892 two blocks from where it presently stands. It was moved to this location in 1911. It reminded me of the homes in Arcata and Eureka. Really beautiful. You can see the pool peeking out on the left of the house. There was a guesthouse next to the pool.

So it wasn't a hike, but we saw a lot of great things, and got to walk over two historic bridges. As anybody who walks with me knows--I love walking over bridges. The suspension bridge is especially fun because it bounces and sways.

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos! You make me awfully jealous with that beautiful weather and scenery...

    ReplyDelete