Thursday, April 5, 2012

Really Delicious Tomato Soup

I know the soup had a different name, but I am just describing it. Its funny--I used to really hate tomato soup. Or thought I hated tomato soup. I suspect that I had been fed the canned Campbell Soup variety. I actually have no bad memories associated with tomato soup, but I knew I didn't like it.
During the 90s, my office was next to a very high-end restaurant--Pamplemousse Grille. One of the waitresses told me that I had to try their Tomato Fennel Soup--that it was food of the gods. I kept resisting, because I didn't like tomato soup. Finally, I broke down one day and tried it. She was right. I think I ate Pamplemousse Grille Tomato Fennel Soup 2-3 times a week during the entire time our office was in that location. I have since been a fan of tomato soup. But only really good tomato soup. I have had a few other excellent bowls of tomato soup in San Diego, at The Prado and at Urban Solace.
This soup rivaled all of those other tomato soups. I was a little skeptical of the coconut milk, so I did use an extra can of tomatoes and only about half a can of coconut milk. In my opinion, the blend was perfect. I spooned my soup over a mound of brown rice and topped it with (slightly rancid) sliced almonds. It was delicious (except for the almonds). Natalie ate hers with a grilled cheese sandwich. Pete ate his with croutons. Cassandra didn't eat any at all because she doesn't like tomato soup.
Maybe it will take her 40 years to come around. I hope not. She is missing one of life's great pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment