Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TWD:Julia. Chocolate Truffle Tarts



Wow. That's a bad picture. I was in a hurry, and didn't take pictures as I was going along. And the one picture that actually came out makes this tart look pretty bad. Gotta work on my photography.

I was actually scared about making this tart. I went on the TWD site and was reading about other experiences in making the tart. Mostly about how the crust was crumbly and messy. I only had a small amount of time to make the tart. I was worried this was going to be a disaster.

But it really wasn't. My crust was beautiful. I made it in the food processor. No extra water. When I poured it out onto the Silpat and mashed it out onto the surface as the recipe indicated, the dough came together nicely. After refrigerating it, it rolled out beautifully. I had a little trouble getting it into the really large pan (I used a 12-inch tart pan because I didn't have small tart pans, and my daughter calculated that the volume of a 12-inch tart pan was about the same as 6 4.5-inch pans).

I don't have a double boiler, so I just melted the butter and chocolate in the microwave. It took a while for the egg yolks to beat--about 15 minutes. I was imagining doing it with a whisk, as indicated in the recipe. Whisking for about an hour. That sounds fun.

I used chopped Hershey's chocolate, chopped Ghirardelli white chocolate, chopped toffee-almond biscotti, and used 70% bittersweet for the melted chocolate. And I have to say this is about the most intensely chocolate thing I have ever eaten. Pretty tasty in very small quantities.

Natalie and I were the only ones who ate any. Cassandra--the chocolate lover--was at her grandma's house. She missed out, because I'm taking the leftovers to choir!

4 comments:

  1. I think your tart looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tart looks fantastic. Definitely intensely chocolatey! Thanks for baking along with me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tart looks great! And, yes, Cassandra missed out because this was delish! :)

    Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to use help on the math calculations! Sounds like the choir received a nice treat.

    ReplyDelete