Thursday, February 23, 2012

CTN: Crispy Roasted Cabbage

The world's speed-eating record for cabbage is 6 pounds, 9 ounces in 9 minutes, held by Charles Hardy. I'm nor sure how Mr. Hardy's cabbage was prepared. If it was Crispy Roasted Cabbage, I believe I could give Mr. Hardy a run for his money.

 I bought two kinds of cabbage at the Farmers' Market--Cone Cabbage and Savoy Cabbage. I had never heard of Cone Cabbage before. I wish I had taken a picture of it. It looked sort of like a smooth protea flower. The woman at Suzy's Farm said that it is slightly sweet. Two heads of cabbage is a lot of cabbage. It barely fit onto my large baking pan.

Since I had already seen glimpses of some precautionary tales of greasy cabbage, I was very light in my application of olive oil. I brushed it on, as suggested by Melissa in the recipe, probably using one tablespoon for two heads of cabbage. I then liberally salted the cabbage with my rapidly diminishing supply of French salt (this is just a small hint for anybody who might be able to rectify that situation), and shoved it into the oven.

I then went on with my business of making winter pasta salad (broccoli, bell pepper, olives, marinated artichoke hearts, and some grated Spanish cheese). I turned the cabbage over once, and baked it far longer than the 20-25 minutes suggested. Maybe 40 minutes. I'm not sure.

As you can see by the lovely crispy Savoy leaf at the bottom right of this photograph, some of my cabbage was crispy--like cabbage chips. Yummmm. The rest was simply delicious. I ate half of the pan of cabbage myself. I could have eaten more. Maybe even 6 pounds, 10 ounces.

My only regret about this cabbage was that Maddy wasn't here to enjoy it with me. Natalie likes cabbage (Pete and Cassandra do not), but not as much as Maddy. I think it is quite possible that she is the only college student in the history of the world who has begged her mother to make her cabbage while home on break. So I hope Maddy's cabbage was just as delicious as ours was.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Simple and very tasty, although we never achieved crispy.

    ReplyDelete