Tuesday, March 6, 2012

TWD:BWJ--Exploding Rugelach

I made the Rugelach early because I went here:

Terrible picture of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

So I was in sort of a rush. But I was certain these would be delicious. How could they not be with a pound of butter and almost a pound of cream cheese in the dough? The dough came together quickly and rolled out very nicely. Here it is rolled out into its rectangular shape and cut in half.

 I bought homemade apricot and nectarine preserves at the farmer's market rather than using Lekvar. The Lekvar would have made it less sweet, I believe. But the preserves were delicious.
 Here it is with the cinnamon sugar layer.
 I used dried apricots and dried cherries. I bought the apricots at the farmers' market, and they looked just like the apricots my family dried when I was a kid. I kept eating them while I was chopping them. Yumm. I also used a blend of hazelnuts, walnuts and pecans.
The question, after I put the nuts and fruit on top of the dough was--How do I roll this up????

Very carefully. These were FAT rolls! This is also the end of my photos. I got really busy and forgot to take pictures of the sliced rolls or the finished product. Which is probably a good thing because they were a MESS! The dough absolutely could not contain the abundance of delicious fruit and nuts inside.
Even though they were messy, they were absolutely delicious. It is now 8 days after I made them, and they still taste just like they did the day I baked them (I have the packed in wax paper, ziploc bag, and tupperware). If I had room in my bag, I would have taken them to Yellowstone. They would have tasted great with a cup of tea after cross-country skiing.

5 comments:

  1. Oh mine were a mess too but who cares when they taste that good. My husband commented that mine looked like something the dog would have left - oops!! Didn't help that I rolled them from the wrong end. I think as long as they taste okay it doesn't matter if they're not too neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Messy, but delicious! Glad these were enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine turned into a complete mess in the oven too, but you're right, they're delicious anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Messy, but tasty. Beauty is only skin deep :-)

    ReplyDelete