Sunday, March 11, 2012

CTN: Chile Coconut Braised "Beef Short Ribs"--Actually, Seafood

I am so glad I was late with this recipe, because it meant that I could see the comments from Maria and Michelle that this sauce would work with seafood. This gave me all the excuse I needed not to cook with meat. I was very happy about that. After seeing Maria's pictures of meat, I was scared.
Dad and Sharmyn are in town, so even though they had already made this recipe, they got to eat it again--in a very different incarnation. I didn't feel like getting my camera out of the car, so there are no pictures.


I used halibut. When I told the man at the fish market that I was making curry with it, he gave me a really big fat piece, which cut into cubes nicely.

I also used some nice fat shrimp. Not krill shrimp, as depicted here. It is surprisingly difficult to find public domain images of shrimp.

I used the braising technique-- tossed the shrimp and halibut cubes with salt and pepper and sauteed them in some coconut oil. I took the seafood out and threw a chopped shallot, 2 jalapenos (which I think were just really small bell peppers from my CSA bag), 4 cloves of garlic, and a whole mess of grated ginger into the pan, stirring it around until it smelled incredible. I added cumin and garam masala, stirred that until it was fragrant, then stirred in a can of coconut milk, the zest and juice from two limes, and the seafood. I let that cook for a bit longer, until the halibut chunks started to fall apart.

I served this over rice, with sauteed bok choy and delicious fish market sourdough on the side. It was DELICIOUS.

And I'm certain it was very different than the beef recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment