Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spicy Black Beans with Chorizo

This was a no-brainer recipe for me. I think my favorite meal in the world is beans and rice. When I was in college, living with college roommates Marlene (100% Japanese) and Elsa (100% Mexican), we always had an olla with frijoles and a rice cooker filled with Japanese sticky rice. Not sticky rice and adzuki beans. Not Mexican rice con frijoles. Japanese sticky rice with pinto beans. I did eat that for most meals of the week, and still could eat it almost every meal. I even order it at restaurants!
When I realized, on Thursday night, that I had forgotten it was Thursday, I previewed the recipe and was very pleased to see that it used canned black beans. I'm sure it would have been better with homemade black beans--but I didn't have any in the house and didn't feel like making them.
So when I got home from work (and my voice lesson) on Friday, I immediately ran into the kitchen to get to work on this incredibly simple recipe. Singing "Pur Dicesti a bocca bella" at the top of my lungs (since I was alone), I threw rice into the rice cooker. I checked the fridge for ingredients (I did not go to the store in advance of this recipe). I had a whole bag of little tiny peppers of some sort that were about 4 days away from needing to go into the trash. Perfect. I chopped them up, and ended up with about a cup of chopped peppers. I found a couple jalapenos (was getting concerned that I would have to use canned chiles like Maria did). I chopped up an onion and some garlic. I threw all of that in the pan and heard the garage door go up. Oh no!!! Pete was home and I had JUST thrown chopped onions into the pan! He would see them!  EEEEEEEEKKKKK. I am just saying that I chopped up two soyrizo sausages faster than any TV chef you have ever seen chopping anything. I got those chopped and into the pan to cover the onions right when Pete walked into the kitchen. Phew! Both Pete and Sam commented about how good it smelled. Phew again!
After the veggies and soyrizo had cooked a bit, I threw in the spices and the black beans. At that point, the garage opened again, and Natalie and Cassandra walked in. They were upset because they thought we had gone to get Mexican food without them--and then happy when they saw that I had made beans and rice. It isn't just me who loves beans and rice.
Only Natalie and I ate our beans and rice with a fried egg. And I sliced up an avocado to put on the top.
Of course, I thought this was delicious. What's not to like? Natalie loved it. Cassandra liked it (too many peppers for her). Pete liked it. Sam loved it. She kept talking about how good it was.
I will definitely make this again. Of course, I make rice and beans all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment