Thursday, March 29, 2012

Olive Oil Almond Cake

Those of you who know me know that I'm always trying something new. The circuit analysis, I found, was not for me. It was taking me twice as long as I had allotted to listen to the lectures, read the text, do the homework, and read all of the wiki posts. So my homework was late, which meant I was going to get a zero for it. More importantly, I apparently didn't understand the material anyway, since when I checked my homework, it was wrong. I have therefore given up on the MITx class. Maybe if they offer one in a subject I am more interested in.
Like cooking.
So now that I have more spare time, I should be cooking, right? 
Nah--I just found something else to fill that time. And it came with a diet. Adventure Boot Camp. Means getting up at 4:45 a.m., doing a grueling workout, and coming home to protein shakes. My kind of fun!
Since I started on Monday, I knew I had to throw the cake together on the weekend if I was going to have any chance at all to eat any of it.
Fortunately, this cake was really easy to throw together. I started off well, taking pictures. Here are the separate bowls of dry ingredients (flour, buckwheat flour, almond flour, and see the little flecks of baking powder that WOULD NOT go away? grrr) and wet ingredients (expensive evoo, eggs, fresh squeezed OJ).


And here are the ingredients mixed together. This is apparently when I stopped taking pictures. We were going to see the Hunger Games, and I had to get this into the oven.



So I have no picture of the finished product. It actually looked very similar to the photograph above. Really really boring looking cake. Plus, mine stuck to the pan, so it came out in two pieces.
In my opinion, it was just as boring tasting as it was looking. It is a very plain cake. I did like the Mascarpone cheese with it--but I'm the only one who likes Mascarpone. I suspect Pete has been eating small slices of the cake with his coffee in the morning because it has been disappearing in a rather slow way. Natalie ate some--her comment was that it tasted like a weird pound cake. I don't think it was as good as a pound cake. I'm not sure what I didn't like about the cake. Maybe the texture. It was kind of sandy. It was a little too sweet.
I won't make it again. Unfortunately, I had to throw over half a cake away this morning. Serves me right to go on a diet the week we are making a cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment